Saturday, October 25, 2014

The creation of the modern still life .

The modern Still life is finally cool , There was a decade ago when it was just a bunch of flowers or a bowl of fruit on a lovely table nothing however wrong with that but those days are over . Well for me they certainly are and to the delight of my clients . I always keep it personal and use items that are mostly mine and in my studio or home . I find many of them on my travels and get so excited when i do, knowing they can feature in my latest still lifes . Flowers are still a big part of my works and i am always falling in love with a new one or shade . Roses however are always a bit classic aren't they . Something old with something new keeps the still life modern , books and even shoes . Tea cups , videos , skulls and the lonely apple also paint up a dream.

Now nothing is nicer in still lifes than the classic wine or champagne bottles or even absinthe my personal favourite. Yes i do drink my lovely champagne tthat'salways part of the fun.  I do admit to being a bit of a hoarder with my china and glasses it was a nightmare when i moved into my new studio with all the packing of fragile items . I will never be able to be a minimalist lol . The joy of travel and the constant search of inspiration in found objects is a wonder really . The magical way odd items can paint up on a canvas is awesome . I love nothing more than working from life but will also set up scenes when i am overseas in my hotels or out and about .

Thanks to my camera which i must say my skills are getting better with or my trusty ipad ........I have a love affair thats endless for my ipad .Here is DREAMING OF PARIS my most recent painting and yes its a still life thats classic but also modern . A bit of spray can technique and bang its instantly cool . WANDERLUST my exhibition opens on the 7th of november at the redhill gallery in brisbane this painting and many more will be on display then .

2 comments:

  1. Loves, you are the magical odd item painting a canvas, and we can't wait for your Show!!!
    Congratulations!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete